Monday, October 5, 2009

The Starbucks Icon


Okay, so lately I have been thinking about icons and symbols and one of the more popular ones came into my mind. The ever-classic Starbucks logo, which is posted to the left here thanks to (http://blogs.menupages.com/southflorida/Starbucks-logo.gif). As I thought about the icon and its meaning to society, I thought about what it means to see the icon. First, I want to take a look at the icon itself. When you take a close look at the label, what is it? I see maybe a mermaid with a crown and a star on her head. The icon, to me, really isn't that spectacular. Why would they choose green, black, and white for their colors? They don't particularly stand out compared to a bright blue or red? Why use the mermaid-woman too? What does she do for the design? I'm not quite sure, but what I know is that when I see this icon I know that I am seeing a proud drinker of what is probably the most "fashionable" beverage companies. Personally, Starbucks' coffee is very strong and bitter, so why do people, including myself, drink it? I know I drink it and I believe other people do so because of the fact that you can show everyone around you that you are cool and modern because you drink Starbucks. It's like saying that you have good taste in brands.

No comments:

Post a Comment